The ground is thawing, and temperatures are rising, but along with the sunny spring weather what always follows are the spring rains! Combined with melting snow, there is a real risk of flooding.
Preparing your home for a spring flood can save you a lot of unnecessary stress and protect your property from water damage.
Here is what you can do to avoid a flooded basement:
- Shovel snow away from around your house, especially around the window wells.
- Clean your gutters! You need to regularly clean and maintain your eavesdrops and gutters. Make sure you remove any debris blocking the path of water. Make sure your downspouts extend between three to six feet from your house.
- Ensure that the ground around your house is graded away from the walls. Water pooling at the sides of your exterior walls will find its way into your basement.
- Have a licensed plumber check the foundation drain and the sump pump making sure they are functioning properly.
- Invest in installing a backwater valve, a device that will stop water and sewage coming back into your house in heavy rainfalls.
- Seal cracks on your basement walls and floor. Do a quick inspection of your foundation walls and concrete floors.
- Invest in flood alarms. There is a range of devices that act as early-detection systems and can alarm you into contact with water.
- Check your insurance policy. Do you have coverage for flooding? In Canada, flood insurance is a new concept. Overland flood insurance covers damage from water flowing above ground and coming in from windows, doors and cracks.
- Move important belongings from the basement. Storm water is contaminated and anything that gets wet will need to be discarded. Move household items and valuables to a higher floor. Make sure you clear the basement floor as much as possible to minimize any damage but to also allow for a faster flood cleanup.
If you do experience flooding then you must take quick action. The longer you have standing water the further the water damage goes. Call a water damage restoration company who will begin the water extraction process ASAP. Storm water is contaminated and toxic. All areas affected by the flooded water needs to be disinfected. A water damage restoration company will disinfect, deodorize and dry flooring, drywall, baseboards to minimize damage. They will assist you with your insurance claim by carefully recording losses and damages along with the restoration process.
Burke’s Restoration Brampton is an IICRC certified flood and water damage restoration company serving Brampton and Mississauga. They offer 24hrs 7 days a week emergency response service, in a flood emergency call: 905-457-2456